International Men's Day is a day to celebrate the contribution of male members of society. Like women, men are an integral part of society. International Men's Day is an attempt to bring the welfare of male members of society into the limelight. It can be said that Men's Day is celebrated similarly to Women's Day.
International Men's Day 2023 Date
International Men's Day (also known as IMD) is celebrated on November 19 each year. The Day recognizes the contribution of men to society as a whole, honoring their untiring work, passion, and dedication to family, community, and the economy.
History of International Men's Day
Although International Men's Day falls on November 19, many of us are not aware of the history of this day. So, let's discuss when and how this day begins to be celebrated:
Men's Day was started by Thomas Oster, director of the Missouri Center for Men's Studies, on 7 February 1992. In 1993, he invited organizations from the United States, Malta, and Australia to conduct small International Men's Day events in February. The project was re-initialized in 1999 by Jerome Teelucksingh who chose November 19 to honor his father's birthday in Trinidad and Tobago.
Earlier, Red Army and Navy Day were observed in the Soviet Union in 1922. This day was observed mainly to honor the bravery and sacrifice of men. In 2002, the day was named Defender of the Fatherland Day. This day was observed in the then-Soviet Union countries including Russia, and Ukraine. In 1968, an American journalist named John P. Harris highlighted the need to celebrate International Men's Day in an editorial. He said that the Soviet Union celebrating International Women's Day and not celebrating International Men's Day is anti-communism.
International Men's Day Theme 2023
This day is celebrated with different themes every year. Last year, the theme was "Better relations between men and women". This year, the theme of Men's Day aims to highlight the role mateship plays in helping men live longer, better, and healthier lives. “Importance of Gender Equality”
Six Pillars of Men's Day
The objectives of the International Men's Day celebration are determined in all six pillars of International Men's Day 2023. It is a special occasion to celebrate the lives, achievements, and contributions of boys and men, especially for their contribution to the nation, union, society, community, family, marriage, and childcare.
According to Wikipedia, the IMD objectives are given as:
1. To promote positive male role models: not just movie stars and sportsmen but everyday, working-class men who are living decent, honest lives.
2. To celebrate men’s positive contributions to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and the environment.
3. To focus on men’s health and well-being: social, emotional, physical, and spiritual.
4. To highlight discrimination against men in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law.
5. To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
6. To create a safer, better world, where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential.
Why do we need International Men's Day?
It is clear that gender inequality exists in our society. Women may face discrimination in various spheres of life but men are too not that privileged. Men often suffer from social customs, patriarchy, depression, and mental health. Suicide among men is also a cause for concern.
In 1968, American journalist John P. Harris highlighted the importance of observing this day in his writings. Therefore, to increase awareness in our society about men's health and to acknowledge their dedication towards family, nation, state, economy, and country we need Men's Day annually.
How to celebrate International Men's Day?
On this International Men's Day, you can celebrate the day in a befitting manner. Here are 8 suggestions to help you how to celebrate Men's Day:
1. Talk to your father, brother, husband, or friend about their personal or professional life struggles.
2. If they are not following a healthy routine, you can suggest that they should.
3. One may ask the men in their family to exercise to keep themselves healthy and fit. Also, one can cook healthy food for them this day.
4. One can go out with the male members of their family or friend circle for lunch or dinner to observe International Men’s Day.
5. Celebrate Men's Day in the same way as Women's Day. As everyone acknowledges and appreciates the celebration of International Women's Day, we should acknowledge and appreciate International Men's Day with the same passion.
6. Acknowledge the contribution of those men who contribute to society, country, nation, family, marriage, and children.
7. Engage socially in activities that stand against negative stereotypes. Take part in a seminar or conference, join a peaceful walk, march, or marathon, and participate in a fundraiser.
8. Donate to causes linked to men's health. As scary as it sounds, there are many "male diseases", such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, stomach cancer, and male suicide. Therefore, people of the world should contribute by donating to causes related to men's mental and physical health.
Significance of International Men's Day
The significance of International Men's Day is many. Men's significance in society, family, and nation is explained in the mentioned six objectives or pillars of Men's Day. Below is the significance and importance of International Men's Day-
a) International Men's Day highlights the role of men in society.
b) This day is dedicated to all men around the world.
c) The purpose of this day is to highlight honest, hardworking, elegant men as role models.
d) This day highlights gender equality.
e) Many NGOs (non-governmental organizations) call to fight against gender discrimination.
f) Increases health awareness of men and boys;
g) Emphasizes the importance of positive role models in men.
h) Creates awareness against various reforms and prejudices against men and boys;
i) Celebrates the achievements and contributions of men and boys.
j) Highlights the contribution of men and boys to society, family, marriage, and childcare.
International Men's Day 2023 Wishes, Messages
Every year, Men's Day is celebrated on November 19 globally. The day is celebrated worldwide as a major occasion to promote gender equality, the well-being of boys and men, and their positive image. The following are some of the best wishes for your husband:
- You possess a special place in my life. Today is the day should celebrate yourself. Happy International Men's Day!
- A real man is one who continuously works hard for the betterment of his children and family and my dear husband, you are a real man for all of us. Happy International Men’s Day to you!
- You work so hard every day to provide us with a good life, you sacrifice your comforts to give us a comfortable life. You are a man who is inspiring for all. Happy Men’s Day to you!
- I'm blessed to have a man who is a wonderful son, a loving husband, a caring father, and an inspiring man. Happy Men's Day to you!
- I don't say this often but on International Men's Day, I want you to know that when you're around, I don't have to think about anything because you're my reliable man.
Happy Men's Day 2023 Greetings
Men's Day is celebrated to highlight the appreciation of men. The aim of this day is to positively highlight the contribution of men to the family, society, and country. Below are some of the best messages to wish your boyfriend:
- With much love, I wish my boyfriend a Happy Men's Day. I know you're the kind of boy that every parent dreams to be blessed with and I know you'll be the kind of husband every wife wants.
- On Men's Day, I want you to know that you are a man who is rare because you love me unconditionally and you understand me more than myself.
- Beyond everything, one thing I like about you is that you are a person who always understands and cares and that is what makes you very special. Happy International Men's Day to you!
- Heartiest wishes on International Men's Day to my boyfriend, who always surprises me with his caring and understanding nature, cute gestures, and ability to understand me.
- There aren't many good people in this world and finding a good person for me is definitely a beautiful blessing from the Almighty. Happy Men's Day to my boyfriend, who is really special.
Men's Day 2023 Wishes for Friend
Friends play a great role in our lives. So, on this International Men's Day share your thoughts on your male friends. Here are some wishes you can share with your friend:
- On this Men's Day, I don't just want to wish you but I want you to know that you are a man who motivates many other men with your personality.
- You have always been with me like a strong pillar that is what makes you so special to me. Happy Men's Day to my dear friend!
- You may never know but I am extremely proud of you because you are one I know who is the best son, best brother, and best friend we all wish we had. Happy Men's Day!
- I am so lucky to have a man like you as my friend who always supports me and guides me in life. Happy Men's Day!
- Ideal men are very rare but seeing you I came to know that you are somewhere close. Happy Men’s Day!
International Men's Day 2023 Status
Men's Day comes every year with the message to acknowledge their hardworking and tireless efforts and dedication to family and society. It can be said that the day is celebrated similarly to Women's Day. Below are some of the best statuses to post on social media:
- God created men to abide by His teachings based on love and respect, all men should do so and thus the world will be a better place to live. Happy Men's Day!
- The beauty of all men is that they each have a special quality and it wins when you discover their true heart. Happy Men's Day!
- Acknowledge all the men who have paved a path for themselves in this highly ambitious world despite all odds and obstacles. May you receive more strength and love! Happy Men's Day!
- A real man is not one who can hide his tears, a real man is one who can cry freely, express his emotions without judgment, and live without the burden of patriarchy. Happy Men's Day!
- A man does not need to exert physical force to show his strength. It is about facing the challenges of life without fear. Happy Men's Day!
International Men's Day 2023 Captions
Not only movie heroes or actors, but ordinary men can also be role models. Here are some International Men's Day captions that will surely help you:
- Today is the day to celebrate the warmth and energy a man brings to our lives. Happy International Men's Day!
- Happy Men's Day to all the men I met and all the men I know in my life. Adore and appreciate you today and always!
- Men are neither born strong nor born perfect but their families make them strong and perfect. Happy Men's Day!
- Being a man is not that easy, although we suffer a lot yet we don't express it. Happy Men's Day!
Men's Day Quotes
Below are some of the greatest quotes told by the greatest people:
"A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society." - BR Ambedkar
"No great man lives in vain. The history of the world is but the biography of great men." - Thomas Carlyle
"Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth." - Chuck Norris
"Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow men." -Mahatma Gandhi
"A great man is a torch in the darkness, a beacon in superstition's night, an inspiration and a prophecy." - Robert Green Ingersoll
"When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw." - Nelson Mandela.
International Men's Day highlights the achievements and contributions of men in our society. This day is observed in more than 50 countries of the world.