UNICEF, formerly: the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, is now officially called the United Nations Children’s Fund. It is a United Nations agency dedicated to providing humanitarian assistance and development to children across the world. The agency is one of the largest social welfare organisations on earth and has a presence in 192 countries and territories.
UNICEF Day 2023 Date
UNICEF is the beneficiary of the International Children’s Emergency Fund (ICEF), which was created by the UN Relief Rehabilitation Administration in 1946 to supply children and mothers suffering from World War II with immediate aid. This year UNICEF's Birthday will be celebrated on Sunday, December 11, 2023.
History of UNICEF Day
The United Nations General Assembly established UNICEF on 11th December 1946, at a time when children were being destroyed, as a solution to the increasing need for immediate assistance to children affected by World War II. Ludwik Rajchman, a Polish bacteriologist, is considered the founder of UNICEF and served as its first chairman from 1946 to 1950.
In 1953, UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations system shortening its name from the original United Nations Children's Emergency Fund, but it continued to use the popular abbreviation of that earlier name.
Significance & Importance of UNICEF
Recognised and trusted relief has helped save more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organisation, providing healthcare, vaccines, fresh water, sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency care, and more. We remember this day to acknowledge the organisation especially for their impact globally.
How to Celebrate UNICEF Day?
UNICEF Birthday Celebration Ideas:
UNICEF works on the development of the sufferings of needy children. We can not live well leaving a huge number of children hungry or sick. So, we created this post with 5 best ways to celebrate the day to support humanity –
- Donate to UNICEF
UNICEF depends entirely on the contributions of governments and private donors, therefore, the best way to celebrate UNICEF's Birthday is by donating to UNICEF and helping children in need around the world.
- Share on Social Media
If you have donated or want to spread awareness about UNICEF and what they do, you can share the information on social media to encourage others to donate too. Share information on your social media platforms with #UNICEFBirthday or #UnicefDay
- Check the UNICEF website
UNICEF is a great charity to donate to. It also provides useful information, the latest reports and issues happening in the world with children.
- Help the poor
You can find the poorer almost every part of the world. So, if it is possible you should help the poor with food, shelter or clothes.
- Help children to study
Children from poor families are often deprived of basic needs, especially education. Therefore, be the reason to teach the poor children.
Why Do We Celebrate UNICEF Birthday?
The reasons to celebrate the day are given below:
- It recognises UNICEF’s charity
At the end of the day, the information that UNICEF has saved millions of children’s lives could have been lost. Their contribution to the world is admirable and should be recognized even more on the day of the organization’s creation.
- It reminds us to donate more
UNICEF Birthday is a greater reminder for us to donate more and help children in need more, wherever and whenever we can. It works for the protection and development of children in over 190 countries around the world.
- It tells us stories
UNICEF provides in-depth stories about the real life of people and their struggles, what their lives are like, and how donations help to change their lives for the better.
UNICEF's activities are to provide immunizations and disease prevention, provide health care to children and mothers infected with HIV, promote infant and maternal nutrition, improve sanitation, promote education, and provide emergency relief to disasters.
Facts about UNICEF
Some Amazing Facts about UNICEF are given below:
- UNICEF has helped to save more children's lives than any other humanitarian organisation.
- UNICEF is the largest supplier of prepared therapeutic food on earth which contains a protein paste that can restore a malnourished child to health in a few weeks.
- UNICEF immunizes nearly 40% of the world’s children.
- Globally, UNICEF is the largest buyer of mosquito nets which are used to save children from harmful insect bites.
- Human trafficking has been reported in all 50 states of the USA, with the highest rates reported in California, Florida, New York, Ohio, and Texas.
UNICEF Day 2023 Wishes, Messages, Greetings
On the birthday of the great humanitarian organisation share wishes, messages and greetings with your loved ones as a graduate of UNICEF -
- A happy UNICEF Birthday to everyone! I hope you and your family would surely give out your contributions to the fund and welcome this day with much affection and happiness.
- UNICEF Day should bring a smile to the face of every child. Let us all together try to make that happen. Happy Birthday to UNICEF!
- UNICEF's Birthday is celebrated to recognise UNICEF’s work, and hence we should celebrate the day with pride.
- On this UNICEF birthday, let's acknowledge that children are an inevitable part of our society, and their development should be the priority of every country.
UNICEF Day 2023 Status
On this day, it is your moral duty to share your thoughtful prayers with this organisation. To help you out we bring UNICEF Day WhatsApp statuses below -
- On this day, let’s try to put a smile on everyone’s face by preaching the message of love and togetherness. Happy UNICEF Day to everyone!
- Every child around the globe has the right to good health. UNICEF spreads this message everywhere and works for the betterment of children.
- We're blessed to have a better life while many children are denied basic needs. So, donate to UNICEF on its birthday to help the poorer.
- Children are the future of a nation, therefore it is the priority of every nation to do its utmost for the upliftment of all children.
UNICEF Birthday 2023 SMS
On the occasion of the birth anniversary of UNICEF let's inspire everyone by texting UNICEF Day short messages (SMS) to raise donations:
- This UNICEF Day, let’s not forget that every donation counts and is appreciated.
- Let’s make this UNICEF Day a special one by giving children a better life.
- This UNICEF Day, we can also bring some joy into the lives of these children by helping them in every way possible.
On the birthday of UNICEF, you might be interested to know some quotes about the organisation which we have added below -
“I can testify to what UNICEF means to children because I was among those who received food and medical relief right after World War II.” – Audrey Hepburn.
"Working with UNICEF made me grow up and recognize how fortunate I am." – Roger Moore
"UNICEF has made the most rewarding thing that I have ever done in my life." – Nana Mouskouri
"UNICEF has repeatedly called on governments to ensure basic services for children and this includes providing food where the need exists." – Carol Bellamy
"I feel that the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life is to be associated with UNICEF." – Danny Kaye
Since its founding in 1946, UNICEF has been working around the world to save children's rights. For its contribution to humanity, UNICEF has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1965, the Indira Gandhi Prize in 1989, and the Princess of Asturias Award in 2006. Therefore, we should be more kind and promulgate the importance of donating to needy children.